SEN Mediation and Disagreement Resolution

Under the new Special Educational Needs and Disability Act Code of Practice 0-25 years local authorities must make SEN mediation and disagreement resolution services available to parents and young people.

What is the difference between disagreement resolution and mediation?

The key difference is that mediation under the new Code of Practice is now linked more formally to the Tribunal process. Therefore it takes place at the end of the assessment and planning process. Disagreement Resolution can be made available at any time.

The skills and techniques used by our mediators, whether face to face or on the phone are the same and are carefully structured to provide the best framework for resolutions to emerge. Find out more about disagreement resolution....

KIDS services

We have been delivering a highly regarded provision of SEN Mediation and Disagreement Resolution for well over 10 years. 

Our SEN Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Service can be used to help resolve disagreements about:

  • How an establishment is carrying out its educational health and care duties for children and young people with SEN, whether they have Education, Health or Care plans (EHC) or not.
  • The special education that is being provided for a child or young person.
  • The health and social care elements within an EHC plan.
  • Any difficulties that have arisen between a local authority or the local commissioning group about the assessment process, or the drafting of plans.

It can also provide parents, carers and young people with factual, unbiased information about mediation and will answer questions that you may have about the process. Find out more about our services....

Why give mediation/disagreement resolution a try?

"[As a result of the mediation] we received an amended draft of the statement as promised. [Our son] now has a better statement recognising his complex needs. The service was effective and impartial. Many thanks to our mediator; she was calm and kind throughout!" Parent

75% of cases that went through our mediation/disagreement resolution process last year resulted in agreement. Mediation is a more creative, flexible and user led process than Tribunal. The presence of a highly skilled mediator puts people at their ease so that families, their supporters, local authorities and other participants can understand and be understood. The process puts the child or young person at the heart of the discussion and aims to keep paperwork to a very minimum. It is also fast. A mediation session can be arranged within a matter of weeks compared to Tribunal hearing which can take several months.

We have been providing specialist special education needs mediation services to families, local authorities and schools for over 12 years and have always received consistently high feedback. Don’t take our word for it. Read on to see what others say about their experiences of mediation. We are always looking at new ways that we can develop what we offer to meet the changing needs of those who use our service. We have recently introduced a new independent facilitation service. This is for those more complex cases where formal mediation is not required but the assistance of an independent chairperson would be viewed as useful to manage larger, possibly multi agency and single plan meetings.

Mediation supportively encourages people to bring a fresh pair of eyes to an entrenched situation…to try something different. Let us all reflect on the words of Albert Einstein;

‘We cannot solve problems with the same thinking that created them’.

We provide SEN Mediation and Disagreement Resolutions Services on behalf of the following Local Authorities:

London Area

Barnet | Barking and Dagenham | Bexley | Brent | Camden | City of London| Croydon | Ealing | Enfield | Greenwich | Hammersmith and Fulham | Haringey | Harrow | Havering | Hillingdon | Islington | Kensington and Chelsea | Kingston-upon-Thames | Lambeth | Lewisham | Newham | Richmond-upon-Thames | Southwark | Sutton | Tower Hamlets | Waltham Forest | Wandsworth | Westminster 


Barnsley | Bedford | Birmingham | Central Bedfordshire | Cheshire East |  Coventry |  Derby|  Derbyshire |  Hartlepool |  Hertfordshire |  Leicester |  Leicestershire |  Lincolnshire |  Luton |  Manchester |  Northamptonshire |  North Yorkshire |  Nottingham |  Nottinghamshire |  Peterborough |  Redcar and Cleveland | Rutland Sandwell | Shropshire | Staffordshire | Solihull |  Stockport |  Stoke-on-Trent  |  Trafford |  Wakefield |  Walsall |  Warwickshire |  Warrington | Wolverhampton | Worcestershire | York

Facilitation – a new service from KIDS SEN Mediation Service

Taking steps to avoid conflict doesn’t just make good sense in terms of efficiency. Local Authorities will be expected to do this under the proposed new legislation. The new Families and Children Bill puts a duty on local authorities to “provide for the appointment of independent persons with the function of facilitating the avoidance or resolution of the disagreements to which the arrangements apply”. We use our team of trained independent mediators as facilitators in cases where full-fledged mediation isn’t needed, but some independent input would help. It’s a flexible process, which means we can respond to the individual circumstances of the case and needs of the participants.

Facilitation is now part of the package of resources offered to local authority subscribers by KIDS SEN Mediation Service. Find out more....


London and surrounding area 
Audrey Dorival on 020 7359 3635
7–9 Elliot’s Place, London N1 8HX

East of England, Midlands, North West, North East and Yorkshire & The Humber
Susanna Diegel on 03330 062 835
249 Birmingham Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B72 1EA

Help us by sharing this post
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Tweet this
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Google
  • LinkedIn