Privacy Policy

For children, young people, and families using our services

Our main Privacy Policy explains how we collect, store and use the personal data you give to us. This document contains specific information for people using our services. We have an easy read version of this document you can read too.

If you have any questions concerning your personal data and how we look after it or you would like to update how you would prefer to hear from us then please email

What do we record?

We record basic information about who you are, where you live, which KIDS service you are using, why you are using a KIDS service and about the work that we are doing with you. If it is relevant to the service we are providing we may also keep records on your health condition or financial position. We will not keep information that is not relevant to the service we will provide you with and will always let you know what information we collect.

Why do we need to keep files?

We keep records to record how we have worked with you, and they help us decide how best we can help you, as well as assessing how successful we have been in helping you. The legal basis for collecting this data is defined as a legitimate interest.

Who can see my record?

  • Staff at the service you use
  • Some senior managers at KIDS
  • Official inspectors might look at your record and check that KIDS is doing the work it is supposed to be doing and ensuring we are keeping accurate records
  • Representatives of the Local Authority/Commissioner whom KIDS is delivering the service on behalf, but only if there is a legitimate reason to do so. The representatives would only do this to assure themselves – and you – that our work is continuing as it should.

Sharing information

We will seek permission from you before sharing your record with other services and professionals that work with you. We will always respect your wishes if you do not consent to us sharing information except:

  • When KIDS share information with another agency as part of the contract for the service. We will tell you whenever this applies
  • When KIDS is delivering the service on behalf of another organisation; again we will explain to you what this means at the outset
  • When we believe you are at risk where someone else may be at risk, for example child protection, safeguarding
  • When we are legally required to share the information, for example following a court order

How do I go about seeing my information?

You can see your records and receive copies at any time by completing a subject access request form and giving this to your KIDS service manager. Once the request has been received the Service will arrange for you to look through your file in the presence of a member of staff. If the information is stored electronically we will produce it in a format that is easy to read. The staff member can answer questions and note any changes you think should be made to the record. Once a Subject Access Request is received KIDS must respond within 30 days. We will not charge you for this information.

Can any part of the file be withheld from me?

Sometimes the service receives information from someone (e.g. a Doctor) that is written in confidence. When this happens we have to obtain the agreement of the person providing the information before sharing it with you. On very rare occasions we might withhold some of the information because it could seriously harm you to see it. References to other people might also be withheld.

What happens to files when I stop using a service?

The file will be closed and kept by KIDS for a minimum of six years. It may be kept longer if policy or law requires this but will be kept for no longer than necessary. Throughout this time you will have the right to see the information kept on you.

If KIDS is delivering the service on behalf of another organisation, then sometimes the responsibility for the files returns to that organisation at the end of the contract with them. We will always let you know when this happens.

Can I ask you to delete my information?

Individuals have the right to have personal data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. If there is no legitimate interest or legal reason for KIDS not to delete this information then you can ask KIDS to delete any information we have on record. There are times when we are not able to do this in relation to a specific contract or where there are potential safeguarding issues.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the process, or with what is in my file?

If you do not see your file within 30 days of asking to do so or have any other complaints about the contents of your file you can contact the KIDS Data Protection Officer. The manager at the service you use can advise you on how to do this. You can also complain to the Information Commissioner for the Data Protection Act. The Information Commissioner’s contact details are:

  • Website:
  • Address: Information Commissioner Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF 01625 545 745

This policy was last reviewed in March 2022.