We welcome comments and suggestions about the services we offer. It is when you tell us that the service is not working quite right or not quite of the standard you expect that we can do something about the situation.

We recommend that you start by talking to the KIDS staff member you know or have regular contact with. The staff member will ensure that the relevant Regional Manager or Department Head are informed about your views. They will act upon this as appropriate and inform you of any action taken within 14 working days of receipt.

If you prefer to put your comments and suggestions in writing, then you can email  us here with the subject matter of “comments/suggested improvements”. This email inbox is regularly monitored and your email will be responded to promptly confirming receipt and informing you to whom the email has been passed on to. Or you may wish to put your comment/suggest improvements in writing to the regional office. Find the details for your local office here.

If the matter raised involves another member of KIDS staff, it will remain confidential and be dealt with in an anonymous fashion.  

KIDS Compliments, Comments and Complaints Procedure for Parents and Carers

Formal Complaints

There may be an occasion when you wish to make a formal complaint. We aim to resolve these as quickly and efficiently as possible in a personal, fair and confidential way.

If wish to make a formal complaint, please follow the steps below:

1. Write to, or arrange to see the relevant Regional Manager or Department Head. They will be able to visit you at home if you wish. Another person may write or call on your behalf and be with you when you meet the relevant Regional Manager or Department Head, but they must not be your legal representative.

Alternatively you can complete our online Customer Complaints Form.

If you are receiving KIDS web based service,  you can also make a complaint using the same form   

2. If the complaint is about he relevant Regional Manager or Department Head, then your complaint will be forwarded to the Chief Executive at KIDS national office. If it is a verbal complaint, the staff member receiving it will record it and forward the record to the Chief Executive.

3. Your complaint will be acknowledged within 3-5 working days.

4. The complaint remains confidential and will be recorded in an anonymous fashion in the KIDS complaints record.

5. We will investigate your complaint and give you a written response within 28 days working days.

If you are not satisfied with the response:

You can request that the complaint and any decision made about the complaint should be reviewed. The review will be undertaken by the Chief Executive (unless the Chief Executive has been involved prior to the review) in which case a KIDS Trustee will review the complaint.

You will be invited to attend the review, and you are welcome to bring a friend or relative with you, but not your legal representative.

The review will send you a copy of its recommendations, and KIDS’ board of trustees will receive a confidential summary of your complaint in order to monitor how the complaints procedure is working.

If you are still not satisfied with the response:

Many of KIDS services are regulated by Ofsted or Care Quality Commission (CQC).

If your complaint relates to a service which is registered with Ofsted then you may contact them on the details below:

Ofsted, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD
Telephone: 0300 123 1231
For textphone/Minicom users: 0161 618 8524  (Prefix for Typetalk: 18001)
Email: [email protected]

If your complaint relates to a service which is registered with CQC then you may contact them on the details below:

CQC, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4PA,
Telephone: 0300 061 6161
Email: [email protected]

For services commissioned or funded by a public body such as a Local Authority or National Health Service contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGSCO)

The LGSCO Intake Team can be contacted for information and advice, or to register your complaint:

Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Website: www.lgo.org.uk/adult-social-care/ (there are links to an enquiry form and a complaint form on this page)
Write to: The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH

The LGSCO will not usually investigate a complaint until the provider has had an opportunity to respond and resolve matters.