KIDS SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Mediation service is an independent mediation and disagreement resolution service, which is free of charge for parents/carers and young people. Our service helps to settle disagreements between parents or young people and local authorities (LA’s), schools or other education providers. These disputes are often about the SEND of children and young people, and how best to meet their needs.

The provision of mediation and disagreement resolution is a statutory requirement for local authorities. It offers an alternative to a tribunal hearing and is quicker and less formal. Mediation enables people to communicate better with each other, and it can help re-build relationships that have broken down.

Local authorities mostly base their decisions on written information provided to them by parents, the child or young person, the education provider and/or other agencies. As they do not always have the opportunity to meet the child, a face-to-face mediation meeting helps “bring the child / young person out of the file”.

How does the service work?

Mediation is an informal, voluntary process which involves an independent facilitator (the mediator) helping those in dispute to reach agreements that are acceptable to all parties. The mediator is impartial, does not take sides, nor put forward suggestions or possible solutions to the dispute. The mediator is there to help to facilitate discussions and to make sure everyone is treated fairly. The mediator is in control of the process but not of the outcome of the mediation. It is the parties themselves that find solutions and decide the outcome through participating in the mediation process. 

Using mediation does not affect your right of appeal to the SEND Tribunal. For more information about the SEND Tribunal, please visit their website here.

Mediation works best when parties to the dispute come to the meeting with a real desire to resolve the disagreement and a willingness to negotiate. In deciding whether to take part in mediation, the Local Authority or school and the parent(s)/ carer(s) should consider whether there is scope for agreement on any of the issues causing disagreement.

KIDS London SEN Mediation Service has an experienced panel of independent, experienced mediators who are independent, highly skilled, experienced professionals that have an accredited qualification in mediation and have received additional training in SEN legislation and practice

Who is the service for?

This Service is for parents/carers, local authority representatives, school representatives and young people. If referrals are made by anyone other than parents, permission must be given first by the parents before contacting us.

How much does it cost?

This service is free.

How to access this service:

Parents can make referrals themselves. Any other party must have parents’ permission for contacting us. 
Requests for mediation can come from:
  •   Parents
  •   Local Authority Officers
  •   Parent Partnership Officers
  •   School staff
  •   Other parties, such as voluntary agencies.

No paperwork is required.

A member of staff will take details of the case and if both parties to the disagreement agree to take part in mediation, a date will be arranged, and the mediation will proceed.

Please note that Local Authority Officers, Parent Partnership Officers or any other third parties must have permission from parents/ carers before passing their details to the KIDS London SEN Mediation Service.




School Holidays

Monday 09:00-17:00 09:00-17:00
Tuesday 09:00-17:00 09:00-17:00
Wednesday 09:00-17:00 09:00-17:00
Thursday 09:00-17:00 09:00-17:00
Friday 09:00-17:00  09:00-17:00
Saturday Closed Closed
Sunday Closed Closed


Download our mediation leaflet 
Phone: 0207 359 3635 (option 2)
Email: [email protected]

Please note the address attached is just a correspondence address - the  Local Authorities we currently provide Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Services for via our London Office are as follows:

Barking and Dagenham
City of London
Hammersmith and Fulham
Tower Hamlets
Waltham Forest