The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services offer information, advice and support for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This service is also offered directly to young people.

The service is free, impartial and confidential.

KIDS SENDIASS have developed resources providing information and advice for parents, carers, professionals and young people.

It is a legal requirement that all local authorities have a SENDIAS service and KIDS provide a number of these services across the country. Each KIDS SENDIAS service has a local page with their contact details, local information and local resources.

Find your local SENDIASS service here


We are part of the



My SENDIASS for young people aged 16 - 25 with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. 

Find out more about the SENDIAS minimum standards and our policies

Visit the links here for latest COVID-19 updates and resources.

What is an Education, Health and Care plan?

Education, Health and Care plans are often known as EHCP’s.

For some children and young people with SEND the support that a mainstream nursery, school or college can provide is not enough to help them. These children and young people may need support through an EHCP.

An EHCP is a legal document. The plan will outline the needs of the child or young person, what they and their parents want them to achieve, the support they require, and who will provide this support.

The purpose of an EHCP is to ensure that the correct support is provided to help meet the child or young persons’ education, health and social care needs. As they get older it will also help prepare them for adulthood.

Who needs an EHCP?

Most children and young people with SEND can be provided with the right level of support without the need for an EHCP. This is called SEND Support.

EHCP’s are needed by children and young people whose special educational needs and disabilities require more support than can be provided through SEND Support in a mainstream nursery, school or college.  

An EHCP can be issued to a child or young person between the ages of 0 and 25 years.

How do you get an EHCP? 

EHC plans may be issued by a local authority following and EHC Needs Assessment. See our information and advice on EHC Needs Assessments here.

An education setting, parent or a young person over the age of 16 can request and EHC Needs Assessment.

  Read our guide on EHC plans

  Read our easy read guide on EHC plans

    See our EHC plans visual guide

  View our EHC time line

Other topics

EHC Needs Assessments

EHC Annual Reviews

SEND Support in Schools

Do you have feedback about the KIDS SENDIAS Website? Tell us here