SEN Mediation Advice Service is a free statutory service that is available for parents/carers or young people to help them understand how mediation may assist them with disagreements about how the needs of their child/ the young person, with Special Educational Needs or who is disabled, are being met.

Our advisers will provide factual and impartial information about how the SEN Mediation process can be used to resolve disagreements about Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessments and plans.

If a parent or young person is considering appealing to the SEND Tribunal about an EHC needs assessments and/or the special educational element of an EHC plan then they must first consider using SEN Mediation through accessing this SEN Mediation Advice Service. Using SEN Mediation does not affect your right of appeal to the SEND Tribunal. 

KIDS provides this statutory service on behalf of Warrington Borough Council as an independent body. 

How does the Mediation Advice Service work?

"Clarification. Clear boundaries. Uninterrupted time for all. All equal. Not them and us." 

"The ability for everyone to talk openly / share information.

"Open discussion - opportunity to explore concerns"

Quotes from users of our SEN Mediation Service 

When you first contact us, we establish the reason for your call and your understanding of SEN Mediation. We listen to understand what your disagreement is about, outline the process and the next steps and ask you about preferred ways of communication and whether any reasonable adjustments are needed. We check that you have understood what is available. Where necessary and appropriate we may also signpost you to other agencies for information and support.  

Information about the mediation process will be provided. An experienced SEN mediator will also explain to you the nature and purpose of mediation and answer questions in an impartial and professional manner so that you can make a decision that is right for them. 

Should there be no wish to go to mediation, we explain the next steps and provide you with a certificate (within 3 working days) that allows you to make an appeal to the SEND Tribunal.  

Where you wish to take some time for consideration, we support this, respond to any further questions and ensure that you understand the time scale in which you have to make your decision.

If there is a desire to proceed with mediation, then we will refer you back to Warrington local authority who will supply you with the details of the organisations that provide the SEN Mediation Service in your area, which includes ourselves. 

Our Mediation Service has over 13 years experience of mediating joint meetings and helping those in dispute to reach agreements that are acceptable to all parties. KIDS' SEN Mediation Service has an experienced panel of independent mediators who are highly skilled, and have accredited qualifications in mediation and received expert training in SEN legislation and practice. We are accredited as a mediation provider organisation by the Civil Mediation Council.

Who is the service for?

Parents/carers who have a disagreements about the Education, Health and Care needs assessment and/or plan of their child.

Young people (aged 16 to 25) who have a disagreement about their own Education, Health and Care needs assessment and/or plan.

How to access the service

Accessing our service is easy. Parents or a young person can refer themselves.

No paperwork is required. Simply phone or email us:

Phone: 03330 062 835

Email: [email protected]

How much does it cost?This service is available free of charge for residents of Warrington local authority. 

When is this service available?Our SEN Mediation Service is available Mondays to Fridays from 9:00am to 6:00pm

How to contact us

Susanna Diegel on 03330 062 835

KIDS, National SEN Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Service, 249 Birmingham Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, B72 1EA 

KIDS Feedback and Complaints Policy

Booking for this event has now closed.