KIDS is a leading disabled children’s charity that has been in existence for over 40 years working to enable disabled children and young people and their families to enjoy their lives.
We work with children and young people from birth to the age of 25 who are disabled; that is they have a physical, sensory or mental impairment (including mental health issues) which in interaction with social, attitudinal and environmental constraints creates barriers which hinder their full and equal participation in society. Our work is also with the individuals who are affected by this situation (such as families and young carers).
Our vision is:
“A world in which all disabled children and young people realise their aspirations and their right to an inclusive community which supports them and their families”
Our continuing belief is that:
- Disabled children teach us that life is about who you can be and not just what you can do
- Being disabled in our society is one of the most demanding experiences anyone can face
- Parents of disabled children are experts on their own children
- Supporting the whole family is integral to supporting the disabled child
- All disabled children and young people have the right to fulfil their potential
- All disabled children, young people and their families have the right to be included
- Access is getting in – inclusion is wanting to stay
And our ethos is to work in partnership with parents and carers to enable disabled children and young people to develop their skills and abilities and to fulfil their potential, hopes and aspirations.